Re: 2.4.8 + umount'ing ZIP

On Fri, 2001-09-07 at 18:41, 'cduck' Chris Grierson wrote:
> i am confused.  if i mount my zip disk as root, i can still umount as a normal
> user.  i have specified 'user,noauto' as the options in fstab, but i am seeing
> behavior expected of 'users,noauto' (not the plural user*s*).
>
> from `man mount`:
>
> (iii) Normally, only the superuser can mount file systems.  However, when fstab con­
> tains the user option on a line, then anybody can mount the corresponding system.
> For more details, see fstab(5).  Only the user that mounted a filesystem can unmount
> it again.  If any user should be able to unmount, then use users instead of user  in
> the  fstab  line.
>
> anyone know what's up?
>
> i need anyone to be able to mount, but only the user who mounted it (and maybe root)
> to unmount it...

Check to see if you as a user have access to the raw device that the zip
is (/dev/sde or whatever etc).  You most likely are given access to the
filesystem object so you can unmount as a non privelaged user but I
think your mounting users will need to be in the disk group at the very
least to initially mount.

--mike