Re: Sound in Woody

On Thu, 2001-09-06 at 10:44, Stefan Deibel wrote:
> Here's a problem with sound in Woody: Although I get sound when KDE starts
> and although /usr/bin/play works right I can't use kscd, no matter whether I
> use  ide-cd or the scsi emulation ide-scsi:
>
> steve:/var/lib$ kscd
> initCDROM
> ~initCDROM1
> ~initCDROM2
> ~initCDROM4
> ~initCDROM
>
> Then kscd pops up followed by an error window which says (sorry -- freely
> translated from german!)
>
> 	"CD-ROM read error (or no audio cd in device). Please make sure that you are
> 	allowed to access /dev/cdrom."
>
> This message is complete nonsense, because I do have access.

You may have access to the /dev/cdrom device but that is most likely a
symlink to a device in which you do not have access.  Check with ls -al
where the /dev/cdrom link is pointing and then (most likely) change the
group of the cdrom device to either cdrom or audio and make sure your
login is in the appropriate group.  Some would also say keep it as a
disk since you could mount as well.  It's your choice in the end in how
to get access.

--mike