Trying to install on Sparc

Sparcstation 2 ROM rev 2.0, 2nd hand, 2 disks & no root PW.

I downloaded from

ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-sparc
/current/sun4cdm/images-1.44

First try: downloaded rescue.bin and
rawrite2 (from /debian/tools) to a PC, unpacked rawrite,
ran

rawrite2 rescue.bin  A:

no visible error. Put the disk into the sparc,
did
b floppy

and got the error:

boot device /fd  file & args vmunix
cant read disk label
cant open Sun disk label package
cant open boot device

2nd try: tftp

Downloaded  tftpboot.img  into another machine's /tftpboot
setup symbolic links pointing to that file, put data into
/etc/ethers  &  /etc/hosts  rebuilt the NIS , did

boot net

and got
file and args: vmunix
receive failed
file just loaded not executable

but I suspect this is a deceptive message, I saw no sign
that anything got downloaded. Unfortunately the  tftpd
on the server (an old sun3/60 ) seems to have no provision
to log.

Please any advice?