Re: moving '/' to a new disk

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 12:16:52PM +0300 or thereabouts, George Karaolides wrote:

> Easy.  First mount /dev/md0 somewhere remporary like /mnt, then do
>
> root# tar cplf - -C / . | tar xvpf - -C /mnt
>
> the "l" option will make sure tar only archives the local root filesystem,
> not mounted filesystems.  This takes care of /proc as well.

i see.  i've been using the "--exclude-from FILE" option of tar to avoid
copying /proc and /mnt itself.

> Check that the /tmp permissions are 1777, which will break the manpages
> among other things; I seem to recall they were changed once when I did
> this, though it might have been me forgetting to include the "p" option to
> tar.

<...snipped...>

> With /boot on one disk and everything else on RAID1,  your system will
> survive a disk crash but if the disk that died was the one with /boot on
> it, you won't be able to reboot.  It's not too hard to put /boot in a
> RAID1 as well.

why is that?  isn't that with raid1 (mirroring) all contents of hd1 gets
copied to hd2 including /boot?

<...snipped...>

--
"In is out and out is in.  But out is out and in is in."
	-- Pumbaa