Re: Where's the latest stable Pan?

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 04:11:06AM -0400, Brad Rhodes wrote:
> In the stable section, is an old version of Pan, 0.7.6. In the unstable
> section is the latest unstable release, 0.10.0.90. Why hasn't Pan 0.7.6
> been replaced with a newer stable version? Where are the versions
> between 0.7.6 and 0.10.0.90? Where can I get a Debian package of the
> latest stable release of Pan, 0.10.0?
I've noticed that issue as well,... Even when I went over to download
the 'classic' tgz files, compliled and installed it. pan does have its
latest version released under unstable. Eventually it will filter down
to the testing then stable trees. When it does when you run your
apt-get upgrade it should automatically update the existing pan with
the latest.

The only thing you need to be careful of, if you install a program using
the tgz, it'll probably put the binaries/libs/man pages under /usr/local,
but if you install it using the deb, it will be under /usr

A simple way around this issue is when installing the tgz, run the following
procedure to install it under /usr:

$ tar xfvz pan-0.10.0.tar.gz
$ cd pan-0.10.0
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr