Re: Building a better blockfile (was Re: Web banner blocker)

(ross.burton@mail.com=
>) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I'm looking for a good web cache/banner remove program for Debian
>> unstable.  Previously I've used Squid + Sleezeball, but Sleezeball
>> hasn't been updated since November 1999.  :-(
>>=20
>> Can anyone recommend a good banner blocker?  I don't want entire pages
>> blocked so SquidGuard is an overkill, but the banner adverts removed.
>
>Is anyone familiar with a program that allows per-user, multi-client,
>blockfile settings?
>
>Junkbuster is quite effective, but only reads from a global (systemwide)
>blockfile.
>
>The banner blockers built into Mozilla, Galeon, Konqueror, et al, are
>useful, but only apply to that specific client.
>
>I'm looking for a middle ground, either a modificaton to Junkbuster that
>honors user-specific blockfiles (say ~/.junkbuster/blockfile, etc.), or
>a common API or specification format that multiple browsers will honor.
>
>Thoughts?

How about this...

Junkbuster runs on a port and uses a config file. With this knowledge, you
could set up a junkbuster config file for every user that needs a special
blocklist (~/.junkbuster/blockfile). From here, you start an instance of
junkbuster for user that has a unique blocklist. Perhaps using the user ID
added to 10000 for the port to run junkbuster on would help in maintenance.

So, I have a blockfile, ~scott/.junkbuster/blockfile, and I have a
junkbuster daemon setup to run on port 11000 (10000 + my user id of 1000).
Then, you have a blockfile, ~karsten/.junkbuster/blockfile, and a
junkbuster daemon setup to run on port 11001 (10000 + your user id of
1001). Repeat for other users.

I haven't tried this; but, I think it would work;)

HTH,
Scott