Re: Debian & Progeny Debian?

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 04:56:14PM +0800, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
> I'm scouting for a Linux distro for a complete newbie who I think will be interested in Linux. RedHat or Mandrake might be easy to install, but the mere fact that they ship with a broken compiler that breaks almost anything is not too comforting (I started with RedHat, and I can't forget the first time I tried to compile a program - it failed and I almost didn't get my machine problem done had I not checked RedHat's fixes). I would prefer my newbie friend and classmate in computer science to try out Debian, but it might intimidate her initially (she's currently a Windows user). Would anyone recommend Progeny Debian instead? I looked at their web site and it looked good - the matter in question would be - would it be as good for a beginner? Can anyone give a qualitative analysis on Progeny?

If your friend doesn't mind some help with the install from you, I would
just install debian.  If she wants to do it all her self no harm in
letting her try a debian install and if she simply can't make it though
suggest progeny.  Basically the two distros are the same except progeny
has an easier install and some more recent software such as XFree 4.
hth,
kent

--
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
   same level of thinking we were at when we created them."