Re: devfs

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 01:37:33AM +0800, --- wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 06:44:03PM +0200, arf wrote:
> > Le Jeudi  6 Septembre 2001 17:33, --- a ?crit :
> > > problem: everytime i boot to 24.7. with devfs i have these msgs:
> > >
> > > can't locate module: /dev/xconsole
> > > can't locate module: /var/log/ksymoops/*.log can't create regular \
> > > 	file. read-only filesystem...
> > > can't locate module: /dev/cdrom1
> > >
> > > can someone help?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > Can you use your cdrom and run xconsole?! Do you have the devfsd package
> > installed?
>
> yes
> >
> > With the devfsd package my cdrom settings work "automagically"; as for
> > /dev/xconsole, I found that I had to call "xconsole -file /dev/xconsole" for
> > it to work.
>
> i dont have xconsole... its not in the deb archive either... do you
> think that's the problem?

I didn't have to install xconsole, it is apparently in some standard package. 	 I got the same sort of messages with SuSE 7.0 when I switched to devfs, but when I got the current version of devfsd and configured it to save permissions, everything worked, error messages here or there.

> how bout ksymoops? can i remove it?

ksymoops is a utility to decode kernel error messages, removing it seems like a bit of a bad idea... Does it eventually create a log file in the directory? i.e. when the system has reached the default run level?!

/dev/cdrom1: If mounting the dev works, either using the old or new names, respectively, I wouldn't worry about it.

What does /etc/modules look like?! Are you running the latest devfsd?! Did you compile with the kernel package tools?!

cu,

Eamon Roque.