gmix audio level problems

I'm having some strange behaviour with my mixer settings. I'm using gmix
under gnome, and have it set to restore mixer settings on startup. This
doesn't work - all sound levels are still set to zero. So I added gmix
-i to my startup items, and now when I log in, I get an error message
saying that either there is no mixer device or I don't have permission
to access the mixer device, but I am a member of the audio group. After
I've logged in though, I can open gmix and it sets all my levels
properly.

Looking at my logs, whenever I open gmix (either manually or upon
startup, I get the errors "Can't locate module sound-slot-1" and "Can't
locate module sound-service-1-0". As I understand it, these would refer
to a second sound card, which I don't have. I suspect that why gmix has
trouble setting my levels by itself is that it is looking for this
non-existant card. Why would it be doing this? I've never tried to set
up a second card. /etc/modules.conf has no reference to more sound
devices.

Any suggestions?

I'm running kernel 2.4.9. My sound card is an es1371, which is compiled
into the kernel (not a module). I'm using gmix version 1.2.3 (debian
unstable). My sound all works fine, I just have to manually open gmix
every time to get my levels set properly!

TIA

Craig

--
Craig Holyoak