Re: udf & linux

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 04:05:44PM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > Is there anybody who has tested success in reading, writing or
> > reading/writing CD's burnt using DIRECT CD software from Windows.
The
> > CD is burnt in UDF format.
> > I have compiled the kernel with UDF read support (as module). But
when
> > I mount the CD after loading the udf module, I get the following :
> > rajesh@debian:/cdrom$ l
> > total 414
> > -r-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           65 Dec 17  2000 autorun.inf
> > -r-xr-xr-x    1 root     root       421546 Dec 17  2000 udfrinst.exe
> > Why is it not reading the UDF file system ? What is the use of udf
> > file system support in the kernel ?
> If it's reading the disc at all, I think it's working. Are those the
> files you burnt to the disc using UDF ??
> > ps.: With DIRECT CD use can just copy the files from one window to
> > other. Is this possible somehow in Linux. Means using simple cp
> > command can some files be backed up on this CD ?
> The file manager you're using would need to have support for UDF and I
> personally don't know of any (yet). Others may...

it looks as if the cd has both an iso and a udf image, so it can offer
up that udfrinst.exe to install udf support on your windows box.

make sure the cd is being mounted with the udf fs type, not iso9660.
mount will show you.  but basically try mount -t udf /cdrom
/dev/cdrom, or whatever your proper devices and mount-points are.

i've burnt udf discs with linux using the boring old:
1. dd out a 700M empty file
2. mkudf that file
3. loopback mount it
4. copy files to it
5. unmount it
6. burn it as an image.

i haven't tried any packet writing.  i tried it mainly for more
versatile filenames.
--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |