How to diagnose slow Samba server?

Hi Gang!

We have mostly Windows boxes here on the LAN--20 computers in
all--but also two Linuces running Samba. The one I was thinking
of using as a file server for a workgroup here, though, has
proved to be strangely slower than the other when sending files
to a Windows box. Both are Pentium 233s, but the other can serve
10 MB in a couple of seconds, whereas this one takes a couple of
*minutes*. In the other direction--copying a file to a Samba
share on this server--the speed looks about 3.5 MB per second,
which I wouldn't have thought to complain about.

I've checked the disk read time with hdparm -Tt, and I get 17
MB/sec from cache, 7 MB/sec from disk. I'm not sure where to look
next. I suspect the network software, but how can I tell? Any
cracks out there who can give me a checklist?

Here's the system at a glance:

ASUS SP97-V board, that's a SiS 5598 chip (incl. 5513 IDE
controller, does UDMA/33); P233MMX CPU, 96 MB RAM; eth0 is a D-
Link DFE-530TX 100Mbit card, takes the via-rhine driver
(connected to an ATI 10/100 switch--the "100M" LED is steady on
the NIC and on the switchport). The OS is potato with kernel
2.4.9 thanks to the packages on Adrian Bunk's page. Oh, Samba is
version 2.0.7-3.

Tony

--
-- Tony Crawford