syslog.conf - a contest

it's a *contest*, but you ain't winning anything but my eternal
gratefulness and respect from the whole group.

i *hate* syslog.conf and the entire syslog daemon. i tried syslog-ng a
while back, but it would keep crashing - no good for a logging daemon.
(btw: anyone got better experience? i'd love to give it a shot again
if enough encouragement exists).

so i am beating around syslog.conf and hating it (did i mention i hate
syslog.conf?) because of it's cryptic crap syntax and it's inflexible
options.

who has the best syslog.conf? show me and argue why it's best. i'd
love to see some inspiration. and now i am going to try syslog-ng
again...

"i wish there was a knob on the tv to turn up the intelligence.
 there's a knob called 'brightness', but it doesn't seem to work."
                                                          -- gallagher