Re: HOWTO check mp3 files

> I was wondering, whether there is a tool that will check
> mp3 files for consistency.  I'm asking because I've found
> a couple of mp3 files I'v ripped that are cut short.  I
played
> them through mpg321, but this doesn't report any error,
> the playing just stops when the file is finished.
>
> Is there a tool, that will check whether an mp3 file is
> complete?  Or is this by design not possible?

I think, as you say in your last sentence, that it's not
possible 'by design'. In a sense, there's no header that says
the file is 'x' bytes in size. You can take a song that's
4-minutes long, but get an mp3 of it that's 4-seconds long. It
will likely play just fine... Something like xmms will
probably play without hesitation.

Hall