Re: Mozilla is invisible

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 04:31:29PM -0300, Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:
> are you using kde? I've the same problems with mozilla and netscape 6:
> their process are started but nothing shows up!
> they work fine in other window manager (wmaker, icewm, etc...)

does kde have that sound daemon running?  i used to notice that
mozilla would sometime just take forever to start, while other times
it was quick.  the earlier discussion over this pointed to mozilla's
(maybe actually the shockwave or java plugin's) attempt to open
/dev/dsp, presumably to check for sound.  wouldn't you know it --
mozilla always waits to pop up for the moment between 2 playing mp3s.
in the moment between the songs, esd closes the sound device, and
mozilla's attempt to open it unblocks, and mozilla finishes starting.

apparently older sound drivers would fail to open when it is in use,
but the newer ones just block until it is again available, hence
blocking mozilla (or any other app that tries to open it).  the test
for sound hardware probably expects to fail and continue, not block.
ultimately, this should be addressed in mozilla or the plugin which
tries to open the device.

i believe you can demonstrate the same behavior with the older mp3
players.  fire off 1 after another, and the second waits for the first
to finish and close /dev/dsp.
newer programs

ah, i just straced mozilla while playing an ogg file through esd.  it
stops at:
open("/home/john/.esd.conf", O_RDONLY)  = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
access("/dev/dsp", W_OK)                = 0
open("/dev/dsp", O_WRONLY

blocking for the sound device.

meanwhile, a better sound app like ogg123 uses O_NONBLOCK when
opening the device:
open("/dev/dsp", O_WRONLY|O_NONBLOCK)   = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)

i just removed the flashplayer plugin, and it starts up fine.  the
culprit in my approximation then is the flashplayer plugini trying to
test /dev/dsp and blocking until it is available.

personally, i've just resorted to stopping my music while waiting for
mozilla to start.  it is much faster that way.

--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |