Re: Re: libxml2

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:48:31PM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Hereward Cooper wrote:
> > Cool that works! But now comes the question, why didn't DPKG
> > tell me I had -dev, it didn't reported libxml2-dev when I did a
> > "dpkg -l *xml2*, only libxml2?
>
> dpkg -l doesn't work that way, it only accepts package names.

No, it accepts wildcards too (although if you happen to have a file
whose name contains 'xml2' in your current directory then you'll want to
use 'dpkg -l \*xml2\*' instead). However, if you only use apt regularly
and never run dselect then /var/lib/dpkg/status - and hence 'dpkg -l'
won't know about uninstalled packages.

If you only ever use apt, try 'apt-cache search xml2'.