eth1 messing up eth0 and routing question

I have two nics in a Debian 2.2 machine w/ kernel 2.4.9.  eth0 is a Linksys Ether16 using the ne driver, eth1 is a Linksys 10/100 using the tulip driver.  I'm trying to build a router and firewall using iptables.  When I bring up eth0 (connected to the cable modem) it works fine.  I can take it down and bring it up just fine.  While it's up I can bring up eth1 (on the LAN) and ping both the internet and my other computer.  Now, if I try to bring eth0 down it won't.  It'll act like it does, but ifconfig shows it is still there.  When I try ifdown eth0 multiple times it just tells me eth0 is not configured.  Has anyone seen this before?  I can bring my computer and both interfaces by hand in this condition, but it won't work on boot like this.  eth0 connects through dhcp to roadrunner, eth1 is static.

On a side note, can anyone point me to a good tutorial on iptables, preferably something I can save and not need a connection to view?  I've tried to set up just simple routing functions so I can get both the router on and my computer, but it isn't working.  I enter:

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

I can ping outside and inside networks from the router, and I can ping the LAN side of the router from a local computer, but I can't ping outside from the local computer.  I've tried DNS entries and ip addresses.  Hints?

Thanx!
Matt