Re: Quoting styles, cont (Was Re: Fonts in GTK)

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 03:10:27PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 01:53:24PM -0600, John Galt (galt@inconnu.isu.edu) wrote:
> >
> > In case nobody told you, this is a mailinglist, not usenet.
>
> Wrong, it's both:

> > To be more precise, this is a reliable method of ensuring that
> > anything you reply to has already been read, thus you shouldn't need
> > to scroll through the question all of the time to get to the answer.
<snip>
I agree, but have found that more or less unconsciously I follow
the practise of the previous respondant...
While we are on this subject of mailing list etiquette may I make
another plea...if people insist on using attachments please make
sure that they are of type text and NOT HTML. In fact if at all
possible avoid attachments.
And the SUBJECT field, the text "HELP!!!" is not a subject, unless
you are failling out of a window and want someone to catch you.
I make extensive use of mail filters to sort my mail based on
subject, as I sure others do and with many hundreds of messages a
day you have to skip some of them. Mailers will get more response
I think if they follow a few simple rules.

I also subscribe to freebsd mailing lists and there from time to time
an advice on mailing is posted. It is sound sensible stuff. Maybe
we need such a thing here ?

Regards
Cliff

ps. Keep it polite !