Re: buggy broadband (?)

> I've tried all you suggest but a new NIC or a new
> cablemodem.  The SB4100 is the SB3100, but with
> a USB port (unused) and a "standby" switch on the
> front.  Otherwise the units are identical, so unless mine
> is bad (a possibility -- but how to test the unit?), I don't
> think

I just ran across this post at DSL Reports:

********

"You can check various diagnostics for the 2 way surfboard
modems here
192.168.100.1/"

This is the page we, as technicians, pull up. I really tells a
lot. Especially the SIGNAL page. »192.168.100.1/signal.html

What you are looking for is DOWNSTREAM POWER LEVEL.
This is the level coming INTO the modem.
YOU WANT THIS VALUE BETWEEN +3 AND -5 dBmv.

Also look at UPSTREAM POWER LEVEL. This is showing how hard
the modem is working to "get out" of your home. You want this
maybe 55dBmv or below. Any higher is saying the modem is
struggling to get out. This can be due to old cable in house.
OR... The most common reason... Road runner is going through
more than one splitter.

Roadrunner MUST be connected via dedicated cable line.
Meaning, when the cable comes in at outside of house...
Roadrunner must split at a two way splitter and go straight to
modem.

********

He mentions Roadrunner, but the other information may be
applicable to you (assuming you've got something other than
RR). Hopefully the 'signal' page will be quite helpful.

Good luck
Hall