Voodoo5, unstable, X11 v.4, and gl apps

Hello

I am trying to get quake3 arena working with debian.  So far, I have
all the GL related stuff installed but I can't get quake3 to work
and all my rendering seems to be in software.

In my XF86Config-4 file,
I have the glx and dri modules loaded.
I have the tdfx and glide drivers installed.

Section "Module"
Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
SubSection  "extmod"
#      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA
#      extension
EndSubSection
# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
Load        "type1"
Load        "freetype"
Load        "glx"
Load        "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier "My_Voodoo_5"
	Driver "tdfx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier "My Voodoo 5
	glide"
	Driver "glide"
	Option "dpms" "on"
	Option "GlideDevice" "0"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier  "Screen 1"
Device      "My_Voodoo_5"
Monitor     "My Monitor"
DefaultDepth 16

Subsection "Display"
Depth       16
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

However when I run glxinfo, I get :

davis@suit:/usr/local/games/quake3$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
WARNING: This Mesa Library includes the Glide driver but
	you have not defined the MESA_GLX_FX env. var.
	(check the README.3DFX file for more information).

	you can disable this message with a 'export
MESA_GLX_FX=disable'.
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: Brian Paul
server glx version string: 1.3 Mesa 3.4.2

When I run glxgears, I get :

davis@suit:/usr/local/games/quake3$ glxgears
WARNING: This Mesa Library includes the Glide driver but
		you have not defined the MESA_GLX_FX env. var.
		(check the README.3DFX file for more information).

		you can disable this message with a 'export
		MESA_GLX_FX=disable'.

If I try to fix that by defining MESA_GLX_FX I get an error:
davis@suit:/usr/local/games/quake3$ export MESA_GLX_FX=fullscreen
davis@suit:/usr/local/games/quake3$ glxgears
gd error (glide): Can't find or access Banshee/V3 board
gd error (glide): grSstSelect:  non-existent SSTSegmentation fault

Lastly, if I run quake3, It flashes the screen, stops and then gives a
similar error:

----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
...setting mode 3: 640 480
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.1
XF86DGA Mouse (Version 2.0) initialized
XFree86-VidModeExtension Activated at 640x480
Using 4/4/4 Color bits, 16 depth, 0 stencil display.
gd error (glide): Can't find or access Banshee/V3 board
gd error (glide): grSstSelect:  non-existent SSTReceived signal 11,
exiting...

For what its worth, I tried to apt-get install as much as possible.
So, I installed mesa3-glide2 but I don't think that works for voodoo5 so
I installed the glide3 source and installed it.  At least I think I
installed it.  But it didn't seem to help things.

Any help is appreciated.

John