Re[2]: startx not for normal user?

Hello Remco,

With reference to your great message on below,
RvtV> Hmm, after trying gdm (with partial success) and reinstalling xdm,
RvtV> the latter seems to work..  But I still don't understand why I am not
RvtV> allowed to run startx.  I noticed /etc/X11/Xserver reads Console,
RvtV> which seems to imply anybody on the console is allowed to run X.

RvtV> I am sorry about replying to my own post..

Please check that your X is chmod'ed to rwsrwsr-x

:-)

regards,
evil

RvtV> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 18:04, Remco van 't Veer wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I just installed Debian on a fresh workstation but only root can open
>> a X session.  First I tried startx using a normal user but it
>> complains:
>>
>>   xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions.
>>   You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
>>   We strongly advice against make the server SUID!
>>
>> I am unable to find Xwrapper and xdm doesn't let me login.  Xdm
>> restarts immediately after I type my password.  The logfile xdm.log
>> reads:
>>
>>   AUDIT: Mon Sep 3 16:00:00 2001: 599 X: client 2 rejected from local host
>>     Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
>>   Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>>   ..
>>
>> I removed the .Xauthority file, but that does not help.  Does anybody
>> know how I can fix this?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Remco

- --