Re: krb5 and fetchmail

  (please leave me in the Cc line, I'm not subscribed to debian-user)

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 10:53:30PM -0400, "Aaron M. Ucko" <amu@MIT.EDU> was heard to say:
> I just built a fetchmail binary that can talk KPOP to my MIT PO
> server, so I suspect the problem is with your setup.  Try installing
> krb4-config?

  Already installed :-/

> FWIW, I have
>
> #amu@tux:~/tmp/fetchmail-5.9.0
> $ echo $DEB_FETCHMAIL_BUILD_OPTIONS
> KRB4,NTLM,SDPS
> #amu@tux:~/tmp/fetchmail-5.9.0
> $ history | fgrep fetchmail
>  1008  apt-get source fetchmail
>  1010  cd fetchmail-5.9.0/
>  1017  ./fetchmail --help
>  1018  ./fetchmail -k -v -p pop3 --auth kerberos po12.mit.edu
>  1019  ./fetchmail -k -v -p pop3 --auth kerberos -P kpop po12.mit.edu
>  1023  ./fetchmail -k -v -p pop3 --auth kerberos -P1109 po12.mit.edu
>  1032  history | fgrep fetchmail

  I have the same setup, except that I don't have NTLM or SDPS enabled.
My fetchmailrc contains the following:

poll brown via postoffice.brown.edu
  protocol KPOP
  auth kerberos_v4
  principal pop.brown
  preauth kerberos_v4
  user Daniel_Burrows

  (the "principal pop.brown" line is necessary -- our mailserver here expects
   you to ask for a ticket for pop.brown@BROWN.EDU rather than whatever
   the default is (I think it's postoffice@BROWN.EDU or something))

  This works perfectly if I build fetchmail against kerberos4kth; if I
build against krb5, it fails as I described ealier:

torrent:~> fetchmail -v
fetchmail: 5.9.0 querying brown (protocol POP3) at Sun 02 Sep 2001 09:05:07 PM EDT
fetchmail: kerberos error Principal unknown (kerberos)
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Kerberos authentication failure: Unknown protocol version number (kerberos)
fetchmail: Kerberos authentication failure: Unknown protocol version number (kerberos)
fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 3

  I wonder if it's something strange about how the POP server here is
configured.  Anyway, in a year or so this won't be my problem 'cos I'll
be outta here, so it's probably not worth wasting too much time on :)

  Daniel

|         "Note that fires are not restricted to dormitories.                 |
|          Indeed, fire can occur in off-campus residences as well."          |
|           -- Brown University Fire Safety Guide                             |
\------- (if (not (understand-this)) (go-to http://www.schemers.org)) --------/