Re: ProC on Debian

Bashar wrote:

> Regards,
>         I've installed Oracle 8.1.7 perfectly and working fine but when i installed
> ProC compiler it gave me error when compiling one of the sample codes as
> below:
> make -f /home/oracle/OraHome1/precomp/demo/proc/demo_proc.mk OBJS=sample1.o
> EXE=sample1 build
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/oracle/OraHome1/precomp/demo/proc'
> proc  iname=sample1
>
> Pro*C/C++: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Sun Sep 2 18:40:10 2001
>
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> System default option values taken from:
> /home/oracle/OraHome1/precomp/admin/pcscfg.cfg
>
> Error at line 33, column 11 in file /usr/include/stdio.h
> # include <stddef.h>
> ..........1
> PCC-S-02015, unable to open include file

  use include=/path to let proc know where the include files are. Use
locate or find command to find where the include files are.

  I had to work with proc and it was a nightmarish experience, now we do
most of db access using perl (DBI, fairly usable) and java (JDBC, I
don't use it so cannot comment on it).

  as far as the db access from C goes I would recommend trying the otl,
it's C++ but it looks very good (haven't used it much though). You don't
have to write rest of your program in C++ so it's not that big deal,
generally...

  see http://www.geocities.com/skuchin/otl/home.htm

  proc problems:

  - it's preprocessor, it's awkward to use with various development
tools (you can use tools on postprocessed c files but it's
awkward/inconvenient/impossible - e.g. error you get are not for the
file you edit so you cannot jump to error etc...)

  - it is inconsistent - in some places you can use pointer (as host
variable), in other not... it might have been bug that was fixed since
though...

  - you have neverending problems doing data conversion, the rules are
quite nasty...

  etc...

	erik