Re: Gnome Freeze (me too!)

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:22:23PM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
| On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, dman wrote:
|
| > On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:24:08AM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
| >
| > | Jon Masters <jonathan@jonmasters.org> asked about sound. That makes a bit
| > | of sense in my case, because sound doesn't work too well on the laptop
| > | (choppy) and I probably had sound turned on for close window events. I
| > | guess I'll look at that.
| >
| > You probably have the wrong DMA channel selected.  This was the
| > problem I had with my previous desktop system (that actually had a
| > sound card).
|
| Worse! I think I had the wrong sound card driver. I've rebuilt the kernel
| sound, but now I get the dreaded "Can't Open /dev/dsp device". I haven't
| figured out why yet.

I recommend building all the (potentially relevant) sound drivers as a
modules so that you can toy with them and try different settings
without going through a recompile and a reboot.  If some specific
kernel features aren't absolutely essential then you could use a stock
kernel to figure out what you need for sound since the stock kernels
come with just about everything in module form.

-D