guess what: ip-masquarading and firewall

Hello all,
after working with Red Hat 6.0 for several months running with a
firewall and ip-forwarding I thought it was time for the real stuff
and deleted RH and installed Debian.

All is fine and up and running. Like the better X-windows and started
with the network.

With some reading I got that working. Then I got stuck with the
masquarading bit. I have Potato (full name: Debian 2.2 rev3, but
yo'all know that) running. Since I work mostly with windows I just
want a firewall/gateway, sendmail, pop3, Apache and perl running. (and
local ftp) So Freesco was no option.

Apache and perl I will figure out. Sendmail and Pop3 won't be hard eighter.
Problem is the firewall.
I believe that I don't have to rebuild the Kernel, right?

Since all the howto's I've found where made for Red Hat. I couldn't
find the /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall I did find rcS.d (and rc1.d, rc2.d,
rc3.d, etc) but didn't find the rc.firewall file. Also didn't find it
in init.d So I thought why not make it. But where????

Next thing is that I manualy have to rerun the dhcpcd with the -h
option, though I have that in the options in /etc/dhcpc/config file.
RH had some file in rc.d where you could put those things in. (same as
the ipchains lines so it would run at startup automaticly.

Where do I put those extra lines in?

Is there a howto somewhere that has been made specificly for Debian to
install the firewall/gateway/ip masquerade? I noticed that
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/network-administrator/ch-firewall.html
was a bit empty.

Since I'm completely used to DOS and windows all the files and
configuration is fun, but difficult. I'm writing down almost
everything and when I'm done installing I'll do it over again and
check my to-do list again. I'll will put a page up somewhere for my
'every idiot can get debian up and running, this is howto'

but first I must find someone to help this idiot. Much help is
appreciated.

I must add that I'm a mere beginner in the Linux work. RedHat was setup
through howto's and I haven't done a good job at it. (left port 25 open,
sendmail was first configured to accept every e-mail. Luckaly I've found that
out quick. Plus I've had a gateway broadcasting my internal network over the
providers network. When I changest that RedHat was running slow so I
deleted the whole stuff and installed Debian. Plus I've sended this message
before in the newsgroup. Found out today the list is send over the usenet too.
Man, I feel like a newbie. Haven't had that feeling for a long time...

Daniel
http://www.theseend.net/ or http://crash.to/acaac
ICQ@6335056
Voor zo'n klein hoekje vind ik hem wel ongelukkig groot