Re: To run a binary as a daemon

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 10:23:35AM +0530, shyamk@eth.net wrote:
> If I wish to run a binary (say, AIRC) as a daemon , what should I do ?
> My thoughts are something like:
>    maybe add into /etc/rc.d , a file with an entry like
>               if [-x /path/AIRC]
>               ./path/AIRC  #Execute this
>
> Please offer your views on this . I know I have not thought enough over my own idea.

I don't know what AIRC is, but unless the program was designed to run as
a daemon you're wasting your time.  Detached processes running in the
background are typically servers waiting for client connection, some
kind of monitoring program or some kind of agent (fetchmail -d xxx ...).
Maybe you just want to run a process periodically? If so, see "cron" or
"at".

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>