Re: Novice NFS

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 07:45:05PM +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:

Hi Keith,

FYI, I got 3 of these, so I'm replying to the one with the shortest
header. =)

> Anthony;
>
> > Does "keith" on all the machines have the same UID and GID? If not then
> > you will have to run ugidd to map the client "keith" UID/GID to the server
> > "keith" UID/GID. Luckily for me, I had the same UID/GID on both computers
> > so I disabled ugidd.
> >
> > The other way would be to synchronize the UID/GID's of "keith" on all
> > computers and not run ugidd.
>
>  In my first message I said that the uid/uid were the same so this all
> did not apply, but it was the last throw away line that nudged me.....
>
> > I would suggest not exporting /frodo to the world.
>
> I changed the /etc/exports file from;
>
> 	/frodo	(rw,no_root_squash)
> to;
> 	/frodo	aragorn(rw,no_root_squash) gimli(rw,no_root_squash)
>
> and it worked perfectly
>
> So, nw I have to ask why? This is all right with a network of three, but
> it would not be practicle with thirty/
>
> What have I missed here?

The short answer is, I don't know, but I'm glad it's working for ya!

The long, hand-waving answer is:
It would be smart, to me, to automagically squash all uid/gid when exporting
to the world. And this may be what is happening. I dunno. I read so many man
pages last night, they all sort of run together. Maybe I read something in one
of them.

The hostname field is very flexible so you can have IP's, IP/netmask, *.domain.com,
etc. so exporting to a specifically targeted bunch of computers is not so hard. Ya
just have to maintain /etc/exports and /etc/hosts.allow|deny.

--
Anthony