Re: Debian 2.2R3 scanner problem...

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 08:19:23PM +0200, Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > scanner help needed.
> > >
> > > I just installed a fresh Debian 2.2R3 and wanted to scan.
> > > So I installed sane.
> > >
> > > But when I run xscanimage it says it can't find any devices.
> > >
> > > That makes me wonder, because:
> > >
> > > During bootup the the BIOS finds my SCSI scanner.
> > > During Linux load, Linux finds my SCSI scanner.
> > > I can see my scanner in /proc/scsi/scsi
> > > When I run find-scanner, find-scanner finds my SCSI scanner on /dev/sg0 and on
> > > my link /dev/scanner.
> > >
> > > The scanner is a Mustek MFS 6000CX, which, according to the SANE homepage,
> > > is supported by the SANE version (1.0.1) on Debian 2.2R3.
> > > It's a SCSI scanner connected to an Adaptec 2930U SCSI controller, which is
> > > also supported on Debian 2.2R3.
> > >
> > > Now I'm clueless.
> > > Why can't xscanimage find the scanner when the rest of the system can?
> > >
> > Have you tried xsane?  It's deemed to be a little better at this.  Works
> > for me.
>
> Same thing with xsane I'm afraid.
>
> I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about risking a messup by
> installing the latest sane package from testing.
> Noone has been able to help so far :o(

Have you checked the permissions on your /dev/sg0? I have to change
permissions every single time (modular SCSI with devfs) to use my
scanner (HP ScanJet IIcx) as normal user. 'generic' device permissions
are set tightly to prevent normal user from performing potentially
destructive SCSI command upon device.

--
Ferret

I will be switching my email addresses from @ferret.dyndns.org to
@mail.aom.geek on or after September 1, 2001, but not until after
Debian's servers include support. 'geek' is an OpenNIC TLD. See
http://www.opennic.unrated.net for details about adding OpenNIC
support to your computer, or ask your provider to add support to
their name servers.