Re: Novice NFS

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 02:17:13PM +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in need of guidance. I can clearly not see the wood for the trees
> here.
>
> I want to make a partition on "frodo" available to all users on both the
> other machines on the network. I can mount the partition easy enough. I
> can write to it, but it always creates a file as "nobody:nogroup". I
> want the user and group details to reflect the creator, in this case me
> "keith:keith". Where is my problem likely to lie?
>
> The uid/gid entries are the same on each machine ( there is only one
> user "keith")
> the exports file on the server reads
>
> 		/frodo		(rw,no_root_squash)
>
> I have read the nfs howto, the "network administrators guide", and the
> man pages. It seems to me it I can mount it and write to it as "nobody"
> then I must be almost there, but I cannot see the last step
>
> I seek guidance/enlightenment - Anyone?

Hi,

I just got NFS working last night. It took awhile to get the control files
acting like they should. Different man pages had different syntaxes...

Does "keith" on all the machines have the same UID and GID? If not then
you will have to run ugidd to map the client "keith" UID/GID to the server
"keith" UID/GID. Luckily for me, I had the same UID/GID on both computers
so I disabled ugidd.

The other way would be to synchronize the UID/GID's of "keith" on all
computers and not run ugidd.

I would suggest not exporting /frodo to the world.

--
Anthony Lau