Debian packaged 2.4.9 kernel prevents internet access to ISP ONLY?!?

I've have a strange problem here...

On my system I have various Debian packaged kernels (2.2.19 and 2.4.9).
When I boot into my 2.2.19 kernel, my internet connection is fine. I can
access all sites and download my email.

However, when I boot into 2.4.9, I can access all sites EXCEPT my ISP. It
just hangs there. I'm not too interested in viewing the webpage as much as
I am getting my email! How or why is this happening? Any ideas how to
debug/fix it?

Oh yeah, I can compile my own kernel, but I need the stock kernel to test
various pieces of hardware that are not usually on my machine (everything
is compiled for the stock kernels vs my custom kernel just containing my
normal hardware setup).

TIA,
Scott