RE: PHP4 compilation problem

Hello Erdmut

Thank you, and thanks to Mike and Russell too.

> > > You need to install the imap support library package.
> >
> > I already have installed the libc-client4.7 libraries.. Is
> there something
> > else that I have missed ?
>
> I think you also need the package libc-client4.7-dev, which
> contains the
> header files (*.h) and the static library (.a).

Well, I didn't tell it clearly, sorry, but I had installed the -dev package
too.

> This package installs the header files into:   /usr/include/c-client/
> and the library into:                          /usr/lib/
>
> (just in case you need to specify that information for the PHP
> ./configure step)
>
> Once you have it installed, reconfigure/rebuild PHP. Preferably do a
>
>   make distclean
>
> before you rerun configure (occasionally I've seen configure getting
> confused by its own config.cache, which will also be removed in the
> above step).  Then try again what you had probably done before:
>
>   ./configure --with-imap  [other options...]
>
> It *should* complain in case it doesn't find the imap stuff... ;)

I tried that, and had no error message.. until I tried to make, with the
same result as before.

> What's a bit strange is the presence of the '-limap' in the linking
> step (as shown in your log below). That instructs the compiler to look
> for a library file named libimap.a, which is definitely not
> provided by
> the above (UW-)imap package. It's called c-client.a and libc-client.a
> (the latter is a symlink) instead.
> I guess that must be the result of an error during the
> configure step...

I then tried to symlink some "libimap.a" to c-client.a
I was able to compile, but Apache refused to start, with the error: Cannot
load /usr/local/apache/libexec/libphp4.so into server:
/usr/local/apache/libexec/libphp4.so: undefined symbol: pam_start

I managed to make it to work in the end.. I had to compile the c-client.a
myself (ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/imap/old/imap-4.7c2.tar.Z) with "make
slx" and make a symlink to it in /usr/lib called libimap.a
Then, configure php, make, make install, little edition of httpd.conf, and
it works.

If somebody can shed some light on this, I would be pleased as I would like
to really understand how I fixed this.

Best regards
Francois