Re: ALERT: XFree86 4.1.0-3 maintainer scripts hosed; please wait for 4.1.0-4

on Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 12:54:40AM -0400, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 08:23:55PM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> | Branden Robinson wrote:
> |
> | > * if your /bin/sh is ash, you will likely have this problem
> |
> | Why would this be the case? I thought all Debian systems (well, I don't
> | know about pre-Potato versions) had /bin/sh as a symlink pointing to bash.
> | Wouldn't it sort of be asking for problems to have a non-standard /bin/sh?
>
> A non-standard /bin/sh would be one that isn't POSIX conformant.
> Watch what happens if I try and remove ash :
>
> # apt-get remove ash
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   ash initrd-tools kernel-image-2.4.8-386
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 22.7MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
>
> #
>
> Not a good thing, I still want a kernel ;-).

Do you not have a POSIX shell on your system?  The bash shell is also
confirmant to the IEEE Posix Shell and Tools specification (IEEE Working
Group 1003.2).

The main advantage of ash is that it's 1/5 the size of bash, though with
some limitations in functionality.  Command line editing is one
biggie for interactive use...hmmm...turns out ash now has vi mode
editing, and apparently emacs.  Though I can't seem to get either to
work.