fetchmail, 2 problems

Hi all,

	I recently updated fetchmail to 5.3.3-1.2.  I have noticed two
unusual conditions.  First, I run fetchmail in daemon mode (fetchmail -d
<interval>) and it occasionally appears to get lazy.  If I haven't noticed
any new mail in my box for awhile, I 'kill -QUIT' it and run it in the
foreground.  There will often be a ton of messages just sitting waiting to
be POPped.  Once I have this ton of messages POPped, I can put fetchmail
back into daemon mode and all is well for some time.  I have never had this
problem on my home box before the upgrade, though I did have it on a work
machine at a previous job.

	The second problem is that, when POPping a large number of messages,
fetchmail appears to hang at the end of the run.  For example, I just had
the above described problem (ps shows fetchmail apparently running, but I
was not getting any mail).  I killed fetchmail and ran it manually.  There
were 238 messages on one server.  After fetching all the messages, the
command prompt doesn't come back.  If I run ps axf in a separate window, I
see that fetchmail has spawned a 'uname -a'.  That's it, nothing more
happens until I Ctrl-C.  I don't know exactly how many messages are required
before this happens, but I have had it not hang on POP run of 8 messages,
and had it hang on a run of 35.  This never happened before the upgrade.  I suppose this could be what is making the
background process choke, too.

	As a note, the fetchmail update was part of a dselect
update/install, so fetchmail was not the only thing that was upgraded.
Might be something else causing this I suppose.

	Any thoughts ?

	Thanks,

	G.