Re: dual boot problem

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 02:31:30PM -0400 or thereabouts, dman wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 05:56:39PM +0000, Giri X wrote:
> | Hi
> | I recently installed Debian on a ayatem that had Win2k on it b4. I made 2
> | partiotions using GNU Parted and put Debian on the second. But after the
> | installation of Debian, I am not able to boot into Win2k. I checked
> | /etc/lilo.conf. It had only 2 images, vmlinuz and old*.*(forgot the exact
> | thing). There was no Windows image. So now i can boot only into Debian but
> | now windows.
> | I ran fdisk from Linux and the partion table shows 3 partitions:
> | /dev/hda1  Win95 boot
> | /dev/hda2 linux
> | /dev/hda3 swap
> |
> | what is the problem and the solution ??
>
> You won't have an image in /boot for windows.  You need to chainload
> the M$ boot loader.  I have no idea how to actually make this work
> with lilo (I tried a while ago, but gave up after many failures).
> With grub it is quite trivial, however :

I don't know if the windows 2000 boot loader is different than windows 9x,
but when I used to use windows 98, I had in /etc/lilo.conf:

other=/dev/hda1
       label=win

(remember to rerun lilo after editing /etc/lilo.conf)

Jamie Strandboge

--
"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."  -- Author unknown

Email:                  jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP Public Key ID:  26384A3A
GPG/PGP Fingerprint:    D9FF DF4A 2D46 A353 A289  E8F5 AA75 DCBE 2638 4A3A