woody horde/pgsql crisis

hi all,

i am trying to reestablish my postgresql/horde/imp setup, but i am
failing. specifically, since postgres for some reason failed to
translate my database, i would simply like to create a new one. the
horde package includes an sql script for that, and i am supposed to
import it with 'psql \i pgsql_create.sql', but when i do that, it asks
me what database i want to connect to. but i don't have a database
yet...

could someone enlighten me, please? it's way too late for me to figure
this out...

it is practically impossible to teach good programming style to
students that have had prior exposure to basic: as potential
programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
                                                           -- dijkstra