Re: /dev/log

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 04:04:09PM -0400, Andrew Dixon wrote:
> Hi All,
> Could anyone enlighten me as to what type of file /dev/log is?  ls -l
> gives the following:
>
> 	dixon@rowling:/usr/include/linux$  ls -l /dev/log
> 	srw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Aug 29 08:54 /dev/log
>         ^
> Specifically I was wondering what the leading "s" means.

It's a socket created by syslogd; daemons which wish to log events
write to it.  "file /dev/log" and "netstat -a" are your friends ...

> Also, how would I create a file of this type?

AFAIK the only way is via the socket(2) function call (you wouldn't
want to create a socket that wasn't actually attached to a process).

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.