Re: [Quite-OT] Kernel bombs on debian instalation

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 02:16:47AM +0800, Calvin Chong wrote:
> Recently thrown to a case from friends, having such configuration:
>
> IWill KD266 Mainboard (ALi1535D+ south bridge)
> Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz Tested, Functional by SETI@Home on
> another M.B.
> 128 MB Tested (Memtest86) RAM
>
> Isolated Hardwares:
>
> Seagate ST330620A (Functional, Tested on my Intel system)
> Rioch MP7083A (Functional, Tested)
>
> Now i wonder that the chipset may be failed; having googled on
> Ali Chipset and discovered some post on kernel mailing list about
> that - however, there are no quite good replies there except quite
> a bit of code from alan cox. :~
>
> anyone have experience on this?

What exactly are you trying to say here?  From what I gather you suspect
a hardware failure of some kind and you are trying to nail down which
component.

First off it's best to test the components together.  Just because a
stick of RAM works in one computer doesn't mean it will work in another.

Second what is the problem?  Will the computer not post?  Can't it boot?
Does it run for a bit and crash?  Explain the symptoms.
kent