ncpmount/fstab strangeness

I am trying to create an fstab entry that would allow a specific ordinary user to mount and umount an ncp volume. Here is what I currently have:

clas /mnt/clas ncp user=bstults,uid=1000,passwdfile=/etc/credential/credfile.txt,noauto 0 0

This allows root to mount and umount using "mount /mnt/clas". However, the user with uid=1000 cannot. I mistakenly tried adding "users" as an option, and it had an unintentional consequence. When I tried mounting as root, I was informed that "users" was not an option and would be ignored, and the mount proceeded. What's strange is this also worked for the ordinary user. Now, because of this incorrect option in fstab, the user was able to mount the volume. However, he could not umount the volume, and received this error:

umount: /mnt/clas mount disagrees with the fstab

So I have two questions: 1) Why does this wierdness happen; and 2) what is the correct fstab entry to allow this user to mount and umount the volume? Perhaps I should mention that the username on the linux system is different from the username on the Novell network, the latter of which is "bstults" as shown above. I don't see why this would matter, but just in case...

Thanks.
--
Brian J. Stults
Department of Sociology