Re: OT: Collecting data in text files

Abner Gershon <abner_gershon@yahoo.com> writes:

> I currently collect lists of information on many
> topics such as restaurants, phone lists, file folders,
> slides using a database program, Lotus approach. Since
> I am the only user of this information I thought I
> could record this information in text files using vim
> and then use gawk and sed to access this data.

awk works perfectly well with tabs.

Have a look at nosql, a relational database managment system working
with flat ASCII files and the unix file tools like grep awk etc.

$ apt-cache show nosql
Package: nosql
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 816
Maintainer: David Frey <dfrey@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.4.2-3
Replaces: nosql-doc
Depends: ash|bash (>= 2.01), rc, mawk|awk, perl (>= 5)|perl5, rcs
Suggests: mawk, ash
Conflicts: nosql-fastops, nosql-doc
Filename: pool/main/n/nosql/nosql_2.4.2-3_i386.deb
Size: 225354
MD5sum: 2add241e6afe4fe1a7303507bc95e217
 NoSQL is a fast, portable, relational database management system without
 arbitrary limits, (other than memory and processor speed) that runs under,
 and interacts with, the UNIX Operating System.
 .
 It uses the Operator/Stream DBMS paradigm described in "Unix Review",
 March, 1991, page 24, entitled "A 4GL Language".  There are a number of
 "operators" that each perform a unique function on the data.  The "stream"
 is supplied by the UNIX Input/Output redirection mechanism.  Therefore each
 operator processes some data and then passes it along to the next operator
 via the UNIX pipe function.  This is very efficient as UNIX pipes are
 implemented in memory.  NoSQL is compliant with the "Relational Model".

Greetings,
joachim