Re: Typing umlauts on an english keyboard

I ran the code below, and verified it was there with xmodmap -pm and
xmodmap -pke.  In the bash shell, right Alt - " - A just returns to the
beginning of the line; in vi it's \xe4; in emacs it's nothing at all.

However.... interestingly enough, in pico (the pine editor) it works
great! Can someone inform this poor ignorant user as to what the
differences might be?

Thanks.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA