Re: segfault in vi

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 07:05:34PM -0500, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 02:01:58AM +0200, David Jardine wrote:
> > I only know that I type 'vi' on the command line and - I've
> > just checked - 'which vi' tells me '/usr/bin/vi' but, hang on,
> > 'ls -l /usr/bin/vi' tells me it's a symlink to
> > /etc/alternatives/vi and, hang on another sec, that is a symlink
> > to /usr/bin/nvi, which seems to be the final destination at
> > 315248 bytes.  So let me rephrase my question.  Does anyone
> > know why nvi baulks at removing formatting mumbo-jumbo from
> > WordPad files?
>
> I don't see anything in the Debian bug tracking system. You might try
> finding as small a test case as you can and reporting it.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

I wrote a reply to Cliff Sarginson but forgot to cc to the list.
The drift of it was that I felt that I'd used vi for a text
formatted by a Microsoft word-processing program that wasn't
a text file any more.

Repeating (several times) the procedure that caused the errors,
I found that vi froze while I was trying to remove the
formatting stuff from the file and only segfaulted when I tried
to recover the file with -r after a reboot.

Is this a bug?  I think I was using vi unlawfully, but shouldn't
it have known this and refused to try?  If it is something to
report, how do I do it?  Tell me the first step and I'll try to
work it out from there?

David