debianisms in CUPS (and /etc/group)

Hi all,

anyone knows why root is not a memeber of usual system groups on debian?

It turns out that on Solaris, IRIX and RedHat root is a member of sys
group. So when you install stock CUPS with its "#SystemGroup sys" and
"AuthType System", its web frontend works (well, after you enable it).

On Debian, CUPS comes with "SystemGroup lpadmin", but lpadmin group has
no members. So if you're used to the way CUPS works on other platforms,
you could spend quite some time playing with "Allow", "Deny" and all that
before looking at "SystemGroup". Of course commenting it out, so that it
falls back to built-in "sys, system, root" check ain't gonna work either
-- root is not a member of any of those on debian. Not even root group!
Is that how this "one group per user" system is supposed to [not] work?

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/descript/gpgkey.dmaziuk.ascii -- GnuPG 1.0.4 public key