Re: allowing users to upload

* Martin F Krafft (madduck@madduck.net) [010825 11:23]:
> hi,
> i operate a couple of non-profit servers for friends to host their
> websites. there is only ssh, no ftp, but most users are mac or
> windoze, and so they have considerable difficulty uploading, even with
> the OpenSSL or other comparable scp-featuring packages. i would like
> to enable user ftp for them to facilitate, but it's too much of a
> security risk due to clear text passwords being sent over the wire. so
> i am wondering what other alternatives there are to allow users easy
> remote management of their websites, similar to ftp. or is there even
> an ssh-capable rsync client for mac and windoze, preferably, of
> course, with a GUI?

I've found that ssh.com's windoze client has very good sftp support.
It's intuitive enough for windoze users: it pops up an explorer-like
window for the remote filesystem and they can then drag and drop to
their hearts' content. The license grants a full-featured no-expiry
version for non-commercial hobbyist use. I'm using 3.0.0 for windoze
right now and it works like a charm. I've found nothing less than full
interoperability with the openssh on my sid box at home (haven't really
tried it with much else). I'm afraid I'm not informed enough to report
anything about if they have any viable mac offerings,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.