Re: automatic recovery on power-down

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 08:10:22AM -0700, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> interactive prompting. If you're having to manually fsck everytime and
> don't have a UPS with atleast 30 minutes of backup power I *HIGHLY*
recommend
> a good one IMHO.

or, if you don't get a long-life ups, get software (smupsd? genpowerd?
etc) which can accept a signal from the ups over a special serial
cable.  this allows the box to shut itself down gracefully when the
power is out for over a couple minutes.

also, do be sure you are shutting down properly (telinit 0, shutdown
-h, whatever).  power outages are expecte to cause problems, but just
shutting it down shouldn't cause problems.  watch that all your
local filesystems actually get unmounted, and debug that process if it
seems to not work.

--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |