Re: kernel-headers package and upgrading

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 11:33:20PM -0700, Jeff wrote:
> I upgraded my potato system to the 2.4.9 kernel via Adrian Bunk's
> packages, all went smoothly.
>
> One thing that confuses me is the purpose of the "kernel-headers"
> package. I installed it, and it put some files in
> /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.9-686 but it didn't update
> /usr/include... do I need to manually update my header files in
> /usr/include, or am I confusing these two unrelated things entirely?

Don't touch /usr/include. If you do, chances are that something *will*
break in your build environment, and at the very least your changes
won't be preserved across upgrades.

If programs you're compiling want things in /usr/include/linux, and for
some reason you want them compiled against newer kernel headers (to be
honest, developing new kernel drivers is about the most likely case
where you'll need this), edit their Makefiles to point them at
/usr/src/kernel-headers-foo instead.

For the most part, though, just leave it be. Read
/usr/share/doc/libc6/README.Debian.gz for more information.

Cheers,