Samba Serving

I'm trying to share directories through samba. I have the workgroup and
server set correctly, because I can see the server in the network
neighborhood on the win98 client. But it will not allow access. I used
to change the windoze box to use plain text passwords...but since
linuxtopia no longer exists, I can't get to the learnto that said how
to do that.
I'm going from the smb.conf in an install of 2.2.1a-6, with these
modifications:
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mask = 0755
   directory mask = 0755

[oggs]
  comment = oggs on magneto
  writable = no
  locking = no
  path = /usr/local/oggs
  public = yes

Does anyone have any idea how I can get these shared? The first one
isn't much of a big deal to me, but sharing the oggs is.

Thanks,
Jason