custom kernel compilation

All,

I'm trying to compile what is essentially a custom kernel (2.4.8);
however, the only thing I'm -certain- I want to customize is module
version support ... I need this to be disabled (I'm working through the
2nd ed. of O'Reilly's "Device Drivers" book).

After prepping to assure that I'm not gonna wind up with an expensive
ottoman once I do this, I fired up make menuconfig. To be sure, most of
the available options are things about which it can be truly said that I
*just don't know* whether I want to enable them or not!

But in the sub-menu "Loadable Module Support" there is an option - on by
default - that reads "Set version information on all module symbols." I'm
guessing that THIS is the puppy I want to set to off, but ... I'm just
checking.

Can someone confirm? Thank you so much.

Glenn

http://www.burningclown.com