Re: Help! telnetd not working!

Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > I just installed debian on a new system today. Everything is working
> > beautifully, except telnetd. I'm using xinetd (also tried inetd), and
> > when I attempt to telnet to the machine, it sends me the contents of
> > /etc/issue.net, and then eats up 99% CPU and just hangs. I don't know
> > what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't suppose you have telnetd-ssl installed? There was a recent bug
in in that caused it to display issue.net and hang, though I don't know
if it spun as you describe. It's supposed to be fixed in unstable.

> I'll issue the standard advisory:  telnetd is an insecure protocol and
> it's very strongly recommended that you *not* install or activate
> telnetd on your system.  SSH is an encrypted, authenticated drop-in
> replacement, with clients available for all significant computing
> platforms.

There is nothing vert insecure about ssl telnet (that I know of). Also,
I use plain telnet in a secure, if rather unlikely fashion here[1].

--
see shy jo

[1] telnet to kitenet.net, login as "beer".