gmix problems

Hi all

After my most recent sid apt-get dist-upgrade gmix has stopped working :(
It pops up a dialog box reporting it couldn't open the sound device -
check permission to /dev/mixer and that sound is compiled into the
kernel. Well the latter is okay as it works fine for root. Permission on
/dev/mixer after the upgrade was
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   0 Jul  5  2000 /dev/mixer
and my userID is a member of the group audio.
Even changing permissions to
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,   0 Jul  5  2000 /dev/mixer
doesn't improve things.

Is gmix supposed to be setuid - I don't remember ever changing this.
Sound works okay for my user, just not the mixer properties (the
equaliser in xmms doesn't work either).

Regards, Martin
--
martin@dbg400.net / jamaro@firstlinux.net