Re: I cannot find a programme as a .deb - what to do?

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Michael Gerhards wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm quite new to Debian, so excuse me please, if my question is too
> stupid.
>
> I want to install yaps on my Debian Potato system. I already added some
> FTP-Servers to my /etc/apt/sources.list.
>
> But I cannot find some programmes I would like to install, especially
> yaps and thttpd.
> An "apt-cache search yaps" or "apt-cache search thttpd" did not give me
> any results either.
>
> Do I have to add some special servers to my sources.list? Or aren't
> there any Debian-packages of these programmes yet?
> If this is the case, which way of installing them would be the best?
> Should I use alien to convert RPMs (e.g. from SuSE) - or should I
> compile the programmes on my system?
>
> Any hints are appreciated ;-)

thttpd is in testing and unstable. If you only have deb lines about stable
in sources.list apt-cache search will only give you information about
binary stable packages. I suggest you build a deb package from source. Put
source lines for testing in sources.list.

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib
non-free

(I don't think it is in non-us, but just to be safe...)

Do apt-get source -b thttpd                   (as root)

This should work. Thttpd doesn't seem to have any build-depends. You will
however need mime-support, logrotate and debconf as binary dependencies.
The dependencies are not versioned, however, and all these packages are
present in stable in some form, so you will probably be Ok.

Just do apt-get install mime-support logrotate debconf

before trying to do

dpkg -i thttp...deb

I can't see any sign of yaps.

Next time look at packages.debian.org. Hope this helps.