Re: vmware & ip masq

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Tupshin Harper wrote:

> I'm doing exactly this: debian 2.4.x custom kernel + vmware + masquerading.
>
> Maker sure that the ipt_MASQUERADE module is loaded, and make sure the
> iptables debian package is installed.

Done.

> Then add an IP address to your ethernet card that is on the same subnet as
> your vmware machine:
> eg: ifconfig eth0 add 192.168.155.2

Where would I add this? I assume it would be under /etc/network
interfaces. Would I add a "up ifconfig ..." to my current auto eth0 or
is there a better (or more correct) way?

> enable ip_forwarding:
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Here I modified /etc/network/options and set ipforward=yes.

> apply one iptables rule:
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

Where would I put this line if I wanted it to work on reboot? Also under
/etc/network/interfaces? Or elsewhere?

I apologize if these are trivial questions. I am anxious to get this
thing working!

Thank you once again.

Titus Barik (barik@techspot.com)
AIM: TBarik  ICQ: 1604453